Prof. Dr. Daniel Thym, LL.M.
Born 1973 in Tübingen/Germany.
2000 & 2001-5: Research Assistant at the Walter-Hallstein-Institute for European Constitutional Law at Humboldt-University.
2000-1: Masters of Law at King's College, London.
2003: Doctorate on ‘Ungleichzeitigkeit und Europäisches Verfassungsrecht’ (Supranational Differentiation and European Constitutional Law) at Humboldt-University (honoured with the 'Humboldt-Price').
2003: Emile Noël-Price of the European Law Journal for the article ‘Reforming Europe's Common Foreign and Security Policy.’
2002-4: Postgraduate Judicial Service Traineeship (Referendariat) at the High Court of Berlin, the Federal Ministry of Justice (European Law Department) and the German Permanent Representation of the EU (Political Department).
2005/6: Visiting Fellow at the British Institute of International and Comparative Law.
2005-9: Academic co-ordinator of the Graduate Programme ‘Constitutionalism Beyond the State: European Experiences and Global Perspectives’ and Assistant Professor at .
2009: Habilitation at the Faculty of Law of Humboldt-University with a book on 'Migrationsverwaltungsrecht' (Migration Governance through Administrative Law).
- 10/2010 Chair of Public, European and International Law (formerly held by Kay Hailbronner) at the University of Konstanz.
- Co-Director of the Research Centre Immigration & Asylum Law.
- Principal Investigator of the National Centre of Excellence "Cultural Foundations of Social Integration".
Focus of Academic Interest
- Migration Law at the German, European and International Level:
- Immigration, asylum and border controls;
- Social integration & nationality law;
- Citizenship & cosmopolitanism.
- European Constitutional Law:
- Human rights protection (interaction between the Charter, the ECHR and national constitutions);
- Constitutionalism beyond the state;
- Foreign Affairs.
- Principal Investigator (PI) of the Center of Excellence 'Cultural Foundations of Social Integration' (since 2012):
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Zeitschrift für Ausländerrecht (since 2012):
- German Member of the Odysseus Network for Legal Experts on Immigration and Asylum in Europe (since 2011):
- Member of the German Expert Council on Integration and Migration (since 2016):
- German Member of the European Constitutional Law Network ECLN (since 2011):
- Member of the Advisory Committee on the Mobility of Researchers with the (German) Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (since 2016):
- Expert Partner of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees, the German member of the European Migration Network EMN (since 2011):