- Born 1973 in Tübingen/Germany.
- 1994-9: Studies of Law in Regensburg, Paris X and at Humboldt-University, Berlin.
- 2000 & 2001-5: Research Assistant at the Walter-Hallstein-Institute for European Constitutional Law at Humboldt-University.
- 2000-1: Masters of Law at King's College, London.
- 2003: Doctorate on ‘Ungleichzeitigkeit und Europäisches Verfassungsrecht’ (Supranational Differentiation and European Constitutional Law) at Humboldt-University (honoured with the 'Humboldt-Price').
- 2003: Emile Noël-Price of the European Law Journal for the article ‘Reforming Europe's Common Foreign and Security Policy.’
- 2002-4: Postgraduate Judicial Service Traineeship (Referendariat) at the High Court of Berlin, the Federal Ministry of Justice (European Law Department) and the German Permanent Representation of the EU (Political Department).
- 2005/6: Visiting Fellow at the British Institute of International and Comparative Law.
- 2005-9: Academic co-ordinator of the Graduate Programme ‘Constitutionalism Beyond the State: European Experiences and Global Perspectives’ and Assistant Professor at Humboldt-University.
- 2009: Habilitation at the Faculty of Law of Humboldt-University with a book on 'Migrationsverwaltungsrecht' (Migration Governance through Administrative Law).
- 10/2010 Chair of Public, European and International Law (formerly held by Kay Hailbronner) at the University of Konstanz.
- Co-Director of the Research Centre Immigration & Asylum Law.
- Principal Investigator of the National Centre of Excellence "Cultural Foundations of Social Integration".
- Since 2016: Member of the German Expert Council on Integration and Migration.
Focus of Academic Interest
Migration Law at the German, European and International Level:
- Immigration, asylum, border controls;
- Citizenship, social integration, nationality law;
- Domestic and supranational policy debates.
European Constitutional Law:
- Constitutionalism beyond the state;
- Human rights in Europe (the Charter, the ECHR and national constitutions);
- Foreign Affairs.
Daniel Thym is...
- Director of the Research Centre Immigration & Asylum Law (since 2010)
- Principal Investigator (PI) of the Center of Excellence 'Cultural Foundations of Social Integration' (since 2012)
- Member of the German Expert Council on Integration and Migration (since 2016)
- German Member of the Odysseus Network for Legal Experts on Immigration and Asylum in Europe (since 2011)
- Member of the Editorial Board of the "Zeitschrift für Ausländerrecht und Ausländerpolitik" (since 2012)
- Member of the Editorial Board of the European Law Journal (from 2006 until 2016)
- Vice Chair of the Advisory Committee on the Mobility of Researchers with the (German) Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (since 2016)
- Expert Partner of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees, the German member of the European Migration Network EMN (since 2011)
- German Member of the European Constitutional Law Network ECLN (since 2011)